Thursday, July 12, 2012

2012 Dodger Lucky Bastards Stat Boy T-Shirt Collection




     I GOT YOUR
         LUCKY
      RIGHT 
      HERE
       STAT BOYS






You can purchase this item at www.statkidswannabe.com. It costs $19.99 or if that's too much whatever you can afford from your parent's allowance.


I think JohnM from the Tragic Illness chat room is the prototypical Stat Kid. He readily admits if he had to scout a player he might not be able to tell a catcher from a pitcher but he spends every day telling everyone what's what when it comes to teams, trades and the value of every single professional player according to his nerd matrix.


I laughed for 15 minutes after reading this post. Count the number of subjective choices and generalizations that have to be made by an accountant - I mean non-playing stat guy - yet he talks about it as if it's iron clad science that should absolutely tell you who is good and who isn't. Ready?


JohnM 1423 pts
I'd just like to say, I agree with phattonez7  that SIERA is better than FIP. SIERA takes into account the strikeout pitchers induce weaker contact than non strikeout pitchers. It also takes into account that K pitchers give up less HR/FB. It also adds that K pitchers can induce grounders at a higher rate in double play situations because situational pitching is possible if the pitcher has dominant stuff. Also walks don't hurt low walk pitchers as much because they are capable of limiting future baserunners. Also groundball pitchers generally have a lower BABIP on grounders in play because the give up more grounders. It works the same for flyballs in that fly ball pitchers usually have less HR/FB. SIERA is more specific than FIP, in that it doesn't generalize things and acknowledges that different types of pitchers have different results.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry if I came across as saying it was an iron-clad science, I didn't mean to if I did. Because its not. Nothing in baseball is an iron clad science. I was just trying to explain its differences with FIP in the simplest way possible. And I used subjective choices and generalizations because it's not an iron clad science. I'd just like to reiterate that I don't think that and I never have. I'd also like to say that everything I post is my opinion and I try to present it as that. If I ever come across as arrogant or as though my opinion is objective truth I am sorry, it is not my intention. I value scouting just as much as I value statistics and I value it far more when it comes to minor leaguers. I understand completely that you think there are many people out there who don't understand advanced statistics and use them anyway. Because there are. And they are stupid. I'd just appreciate it if you didn't lump me in with them because I took a great deal of time and effort to learn about statistics because it increases my enjoyment of the game. I also agree with you that people often put too much into these statistics, and it is most definitely not the only tool to evaluate players. I appreciated your input on Mike's blog, and I respect your opinions completely, and I request that you respect mine as well.
    Thanks,
    JohnM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said young man. I think a lot of it is just the function of a chat room of similar thinking folk. And it's that group disdain/dismissal of everything else especially given age, etc., that makes me want to attack back. I'm obviously over the top to get people's attention and show I can sound just as dumb as they do. The problem is they don't realize how dumb they sound because of the group think.

    I have a lot more respect for you now JohnM. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete